Dr Henry Cloud, a psychologist, business consultant, and bestselling author of over 45 books. His most recent book is The Power of the Other - offering powerful insights into how relationships shape our success. Listen in to hear about Dr Henry’s enormous experience in writing and publishing, why you need an agent, and exactly what the “power of the other” means for your business.
- Favorite Book? – Steve Jobs
- What CEO do you follow? — Elon Musk
- Favorite online tool? — OneNote
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? — I wish I’d known what’s in this book: that I need other people to get me through life and turn me into my best self
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:20 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:07 – Welcoming Dr Henry to the show
- 03:10 – Why does Dr Henry write so much?
- 03:35 – “The books come from the work...when I see an issue that multiple people are having, I write a book”
- 04:50 – Dr Henry’s latest book is The Power of The Other
- 05:05 – “People only get past the current limit of their performance when they build relationships that take them to that higher level of performance”
- 06:50 – The last book that Dr Henry published was Boundaries For Leaders
- 07:30 – Even the highest performers tend to lose control of their lives
- 08:09 – “If everything’s important, then nothing is”
- 08:40 – Published by Harper Collins
- 09:25 – “The publisher doesn’t sell the book - the author and their platform sell the book”
- 10:55 – What was the path that Dr Henry took with his publisher?
- 12:40 – Why it’s important to have an agent
- 13:15 – Agents have specialist knowledge about the business side of books
- 15:15 – “Ask yourself one question: why am I writing this book?”
- 16:09 – A book is a way of getting your message out
- 16:45 – It’s a product line, a way of spreading your message, and a calling card
- 17:00 – When you’re just starting out, royalties are probably the wrong reason to write a book
- 18:50 – Beginning authors will be offered lower royalty percentages than established authors - around 10% would be normal
- 20:17 – An advance is roughly the royalty percentage for a first year of sales
- 21:12 – How did Dr Henry sell copies of his first book?
- 21:50 – Dr Henry sold copies of Changes That Heal at speaking events
- 23:25 – He got a $10k advance on that first book
- 24:35 – He took around 12% of the $20 sale price in royalties
- 25:55 – Publishers are more likely to pay for ideas where they see a market
- 26:44 – Dr Henry sold around 40-50k copies of his first book before he was offered another deal
- 27:20 – Self-publishing works well for some people - but if you don’t want publishing to be your day job, then it’s worth looking at other options
- 29:02 – Connect with Dr Henry at Power of The Other
3 Key Points:
- The publisher doesn’t sell the book: the author and their platform sell the book
- Other people, and the relationships you form, are absolutely vital to bringing out your best performance
- Want to write a book? Understand why you want to write it.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks - The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he's driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives