Ep 155 features Vincent Harris, the CEO of Harris Media and Chief Digital Strategist for Senator Rand Paul. Listen as Nathan and Vincent discuss the Harris Media’s online services and how it relates to political strategy.
3 Key Points:
- As media choices become more and more fragmented, it’s become important to observe which online platforms can maximize a politician’s voice. (Reddit, Snapchat, Facebook)
- Most online funding for political campaigns come through online email solicitations.
- It pays to have more patience in one’s professional and personal life – and also to stress less about the little things.
Vincent Harris is CEO of Harris Media and Chief Digital Strategist for Senator Rand Paul. Previously he has worked on the digital side of three Presidential races, having run all online operations for Texas Governor Rick Perry and Speaker Newt Gingrich’s 2012 campaigns. In 2014 Vincent was hired by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to oversee the digital operations for his Likud party’s successful campaign.
Vincent spent over three years working with Ted Cruz, whom many have credited his successful use of the web as part of his incredible underdog win. Under Vincent’s watch, the nationally acclaimed firm, Harris Media, has grown into a successful company with over 20 employees proudly headquartered in Austin, Texas.
Vincent is a strong believer in the power of the internet as a tool to influence the public arena, and his firm’s successes have been noted in numerous publications and news outlets. His expertise stretches from practical application into academia where he is working towards a PhD at the University of Texas and is blessed to be guest faculty at Baylor University.
He was named the youngest “Rising Star” in Politics by Campaigns & Elections Magazine and was recently profiled in Bloomberg, where he was dubbed “The Man Who Invented the Republican Internet.”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:38 – Vincent joins the show
- 01:48 – Vincent’s been working in politics since the age of 14, volunteering locally and building websites.
- 02:50 – At Harris Media, Vincent’s team manages digital communication for his clients by building websites, maintaining social media, and creating videos.
- 03:45 – As media platforms increase every day, reaching an audience is now dependent on new online trends and websites such as Snapchat and Reddit. Vincent watches these trends to most effectively reach audience members for his clients.
- 05:19 – Vincent’s firm has found that applications like Heyo are useful for getting emails.
- 06:13 – Roughly ten percent of Rand Paul’s online fundraising came from his online store which Harris Media maintains.
- 06:32 – In order to increase sales, Vincent’s firm allowed customers of Rand Paul’s online store to vote on which products they wanted on sale.
- 07:43 – According to Vincent, most political campaigns raise their money through online email solicitations.
- 08:30 – Rand Paul’s raised a little south of 10 million dollars through online means in the past 12 months for his campaigns.
- 09:27 – Harris Media makes money through online services for clients who usually pay them a monthly retainer. The company was started in Vincent’s dorm room in college and currently has about 35 employees.
- 10:37 – Vincent’s clients pay a range from 4K to 15K a month. The firm has about 15 clients. 11:22 – Although Harris Media is a conservative/libertarian agency – their clients are not necessarily politically affiliated.
- 12:50 – Vincent talks about a full day live stream for Rand Paul.
- 15:06 – Vincent believes that Trump is too brash with his political statements.
- 16:58 – Famous Five
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- Too Conservative – Blog Vincent started in High School
- Harris Media – Vincent’s Website mobile app
- Wikipedia – More information on Vincent
- Mark Zuckerberg – CEO Vincent keeps up with
- Love Works – Book Vincent stands by
- Over App – One of Vincent’s favorite tools
- Perfect Video – Another of Vincent’s online tools
- Favorite Book?—Love Works by Joel Manby
- What CEO do you follow?— Mark Zuckerberg
- What is your favorite online tool?— OverApp and Perfect Video
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Most nights, yes.
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Be more trusting of God, stress less about the little things. And also to have more patience in his professional and personal life.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Listen to The Top if you want to hear from the worlds TOP entrepreneurs on how much they sold last month, how they are selling it, and what they are selling - 7 days a week in 20 minute interviews! Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop
The Top is FOR YOU if you are:
A STUDENT who wants to become the CEO of a $10m company in under 24 months (episode #4)
STUCK in the CORPORATE grind and looking to create a $10k/mo side business so you can quit (episode #7)
An influencer or BLOGGER who wants to make $27k/mo in monthly RECURRING revenue to have the life you want and full CONTROL (episode #1)
The Software as a Service (SaaS) entrepreneur who wants to grow to a $100m+ valuation (episode #14).
Your host, Nathan Latka is a 25 year old software entrepreneur who has driven over $4.5 million in revenue and built a 25 person team as he dropped out of school, raised $2.5million from a Forbes Billionaire, and attracted over 10,000 paying customers from 160+ different countries.
Oprah gets 60 minutes or more to make her guests comfortable to then ask tough questions. Nathan does it all in less than 15 minutes in this daily podcast that's like an audio version of Pat Flynn's monthly income report. Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop