Henry Schuck, CEO of DiscoverOrg. He’s a leading entrepreneur in sales intelligence and lead generation. Under his leadership, DiscoverOrg built the industry’s most accurate, highest quality, contact database through a mix of technology and a team of live researchers who continually call into thousands of IT, marketing, HR, and finance departments.
- Favorite Book? – Good Boss, Bad Boss
- What CEO do you follow? – N/A
- Favorite online tool? — Gmail
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— I do
- If you could let your 20-year old self, know one thing, what would it be? – “Work harder than you could ever imagine working”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:40 – Nathan introduces Henry to the show
- 02:13 – DiscoverOrg provides deep intelligence on the company and the contact information of buyers of 60,000 companies worldwide
- 02:38 – DiscoverOrg is selling the data on a subscription basis
- 03:09 – Henry worked for a company similar to DiscoverOrg when he was an undergrad
- 03:28 – Henry’s colleague asked him to build a similar company which is now DiscoverOrg
- 04:04 – Henry’s acquired iProfile
- 04:40 – DiscoverOrg is owned by TA Associates
- 04:58 – DiscoverOrg was self-funded in annual contract value in 2014
- 05:56 – Henry was approached by different private equity firms in 2012-2014
- 06:26 – Henry shares the reason why they chose TA Associates
- 07:45 – Customers pay annual access to the platform which is a SaaS platform and they pay for specific data
- 08:22 – Average annual RPU
- 08:46 – Average ARR
- 09:20 – How Henry manages churn
- 10:46 – CAC
- 11:16 – Henry and his team are based in Vancouver, Washington
- 11:27 – Team size is 315
- 11:40 – Lifetime value
- 11:55 – Customers stay with DiscoverOrg for 3-4 years
- 12:23 – What keeps you motivated in doing this?
- 12:30 – Henry has a 6 month old daughter and he wants her to see that he works hard, he also wants to make it a success for TA
- 13:29 – Connect with Henry through LinkedIn and Twitter
- 15:27 – Annual renewal rate is over 90%
- 15:46 – DiscoverOrg is continually building new data
- 16:00 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Teach users not only how to use a platform, but how to utilize it to INCREASE their revenue.
- Have a business that is profitable.
- Work harder than you could ever imagine working, that’s where you add value.
- Acuity Scheduling – Nathan uses Acuity to schedule his podcast interviews and appointments
- Drip – Nathan uses Drip’s email automation platform and visual campaign builder to build his sales funnel
- Toptal – Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to the quality of Toptal
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for the cheapest price possible.
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5-hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- The Top Inbox – The site Nathan uses to schedule emails to be sent later, set reminders in inbox, track opens and follow-up with email sequences
- @HenryLSchuck – Henry’s Twitter handle
- LinkedIn – Henry’s LinkedIn account
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives