Ep 195 Margaret Brown, the owner and publisher of Shelf Media a company that holds and manages a variety of free digital publications. Listen as Nathan and Margaret talk about the art of driving revenue from publishing, what it takes to turn a profit, and how digital publishing works.
- Favorite Book? – The Four Hour Work Week
- What CEO do you follow?— Alex Blumberg
- What is your favorite online tool?— BlinkPlan
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Embrace who you are and what you were meant to do.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:10 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:45 – Margaret breaks down Shelf Media
- 02:40 – Invested less than 10K to get started
- 03:45 – Acquiring the 1st 1,000 readers
- 04:24 – The primary thing that got them on the map was media coverage
- 04:54 – Throw a lot of spaghetti at the wall and something will stick
- 05:38 – Press Rush
- 07:09 – Subscriptions to all Shelf content is FREE
- 07:39 – You have to believe in your product
- 08:38 – The revenue model of Shelf Media
- 09:43 – $4k a month in to be profitable
- 10:17 – It takes a lot of failure to lead to success
- 12:55 – The rates for advertising with Shelf Unbound
- 13:50 -- $20K per issue of Shelf Unbound (125K readership) in top-line revenue
- 15:19 – ShelfMediaGroup.com Margaret@ShelfMediaGroup.com
3 Key Points:
- Learn how to fail. Then learn how to fail faster.
- You don’t always need a ton of money per month to be profitable…just keep your overhead low.
- Embrace who you are—don’t fight it.
- Edgar – Nathan uses Edgar instead of other scheduling tools for Twitter because Edgar cycles through content over and over (buffer/others you have to re-input content over and over – time consuming). In the last several months, Edgar has driven Nathan over 3728 clicks that he didn’t have to work or pay for.
- Host Gator - Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Press Rush – A media tool Margaret loves
- Alex Blumberg – CEO of Gimlet Media
- BlinkPlan – Margaret’s favorite online tool
- The Four Hour Work Week – Time Ferris’ book
Listen to The Top if you want to hear from the worlds TOP entrepreneurs on how much they sold last month, how they are selling it, and what they are selling - 7 days a week in 20 minute interviews! Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop
The Top is FOR YOU if you are:
A STUDENT who wants to become the CEO of a $10m company in under 24 months (episode #4)
STUCK in the CORPORATE grind and looking to create a $10k/mo side business so you can quit (episode #7)
An influencer or BLOGGER who wants to make $27k/mo in monthly RECURRING revenue to have the life you want and full CONTROL (episode #1)
The Software as a Service (SaaS) entrepreneur who wants to grow to a $100m+ valuation (episode #14).
Your host, Nathan Latka is a 25 year old software entrepreneur who has driven over $4.5 million in revenue and built a 25 person team as he dropped out of school, raised $2.5million from a Forbes Billionaire, and attracted over 10,000 paying customers from 160+ different countries.
Oprah gets 60 minutes or more to make her guests comfortable to then ask tough questions. Nathan does it all in less than 15 minutes in this daily podcast that's like an audio version of Pat Flynn's monthly income report. Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop