Ep 183 Jules Hill, the analytics manager of the startup Windsor Circle . Listen as Nathan and Jules talk about the latter’s previous experiences as the COO of Cellbreaker.
YOUR $100: Remember to subscribe to the show on itunes then text the word "nathan" to 33444 to confirm that you've done it to enter to win $100 every Monday on the show. Do this now. Stop reading this and do it!
Click here to join the top tribe and instantly learn how Nathan made his first $10k at 19 years old: bit.ly/1SynoAg
Top Entrepreneurs join Nathan Latka daily inspired by, Art of Charm, Pat Flynn, John Dumas, Entrepreneur on Fire, Chalene Johnson, Lewis Howes, School of Greatness, HBR Podcast, the StartUp podcast, Mixergy, Andrew Warner, AskGaryVee, and the great hosts of BiggerPockets!
Jules Hill was born in England, grew up in Mexico, and went to the U.S. for college. After graduating early from Kenan-Flagler business school he dedicated two years to the venture backed startup CellBreaker as COO.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:34 – Jules joins the show.
- 01:51 – CellBreaker had raised about 50K when Jules joined it full time.
- 02:38 – When he started, he got equity and pay, but it wasn’t much.
- 03:47 – He was paid 20K a year at the startup when he first started and he’d just bought a house.
- 05:02 – One of the milestones CellBreaker reached was getting accepted to the 500 startups programs in California which granted the business 100K.
- 06:19 – Jules gets paid as a reserve in the marine corp., rents out a room in his house, and does freelance jobs occasionally to make ends meet where he can.
- 07:00 – Nathan and Jules breaks down the money he’s made through each means.
- 08:31 – Jules left CellBreaker when the startup didn’t meet the milestones he thought they would. However, it was a valuable learning experience.
- 09:48 – Jules talks about the legal ramifications that slowed down CellBreaker’s progress.
- 10:55 – Jules possesses 1% equity in CellBreaker.
- 11:45 – Currently Jules works at a new startup called Windsor Circle. It helps retailers increase their customer lifetime value and customer retention.
- 12:23 – Jules is the analytics manager at the new startup.
- 13:25 – Jules is making significantly more than 20K
- 15:26 – Famous Five
- Favorite Book?- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Tufte
- What CEO do you follow?— Elon Musk
- What is your favorite online tool?— Google’s Ngram viewer
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— You’re always going to be able to make it work. Don’t be afraid to take risks. Ask yourself ‘what’s the worst that could happen?’
3 Key Points:
- Being involved in extraneous legal matters will really bog down a business.
- It can be a dilemma deciding between going to work for a well-established business or a startup straight out of school.
- Making ends meet can be an eclectic task because there are a variety of ways to make money here and there.
- Edgar – Nathan uses Edgar instead of other scheduling tools for Twitter because Edgar cycles through content over and over (buffer/others you have to re-input content over and over – time consuming). In the last several months, Edgar has driven Nathan over 3728 clicks that he didn’t have to work or pay for.
- LinkedIn – Jules’s LinkedIn
- Windsor Circle – Jules’s current business
- CellBreaker – Jules’s previous business
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information – Jules’s favorite business book
- Elon Musk – CEO Jules follows
- Google’s Ngram viewer – Jules’s favorite online tool
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Listen to The Top if you want to hear from the worlds TOP entrepreneurs on how much they sold last month, how they are selling it, and what they are selling - 7 days a week in 20 minute interviews! Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop
The Top is FOR YOU if you are:
A STUDENT who wants to become the CEO of a $10m company in under 24 months (episode #4)
STUCK in the CORPORATE grind and looking to create a $10k/mo side business so you can quit (episode #7)
An influencer or BLOGGER who wants to make $27k/mo in monthly RECURRING revenue to have the life you want and full CONTROL (episode #1)
The Software as a Service (SaaS) entrepreneur who wants to grow to a $100m+ valuation (episode #14).
Your host, Nathan Latka is a 25 year old software entrepreneur who has driven over $4.5 million in revenue and built a 25 person team as he dropped out of school, raised $2.5million from a Forbes Billionaire, and attracted over 10,000 paying customers from 160+ different countries.
Oprah gets 60 minutes or more to make her guests comfortable to then ask tough questions. Nathan does it all in less than 15 minutes in this daily podcast that's like an audio version of Pat Flynn's monthly income report. Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop