Episode 162 Harry Campbell, the owner and founder of The Rideshare Guy Blog and Podcast. Listen as Nathan and Harry talk about recent developments in the rideshare industry for companies such as Uber and Lyft.
YOUR $100: Remember to subscribe to the show on itunes then text the word "nathan" to 33444 to confirm that you've done it to enter to win $100 every Monday on the show. Do this now. Stop reading this and do it!
Click here to join the top tribe and instantly learn how Nathan made his first $10k at 19 years old: http://nathanlatka.com/startertribelive
Top Entrepreneurs join Nathan Latka daily inspired by, Art of Charm, Pat Flynn, John Dumas, Entrepreneur on Fire, Chalene Johnson, Lewis Howes, School of Greatness, HBR Podcast, the StartUp podcast, Mixergy, Andrew Warner, AskGaryVee, and the great hosts of BiggerPockets!
3 Key Points:
- The most successful billion dollar businesses are almost always the ones that build the community in a new industry the fastest. (PayPal, Airbnb, etc)
- Rideshare companies like Uber have steadily been driving prices down for their services, but also paying their drivers less.
- Harry Campbell made 25K in his most recent month as a blogger simply through driver referrals and direct ad buys.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:29 – Harry joins the show
- 03:08 – Harry began as an aerospace engineer making 80K a year. His wife attends med school in Southern California.
- 04:10 – Alongside engineering, Harry did some freelance writing and worked as an Uber driver on the side.
- 05:04 – Harry makes money with his blog through driver referrals.
- 06:28 – Using Lyft and Uber at the same time isn’t a bad idea as it’ll enable you to get a driver sooner.
- 07:58 – Uber has been driving prices steadily down since they’ve begun, but their drivers are now paid less than when the company started.
- 08:22 – One of the ways the company does this is by carpooling rides to halve passenger fees, but keep the driver’s earning the same.
- 09:13 – A rideshare driver can make about 15-20 bucks an hour.
- 10:30 – In his most recent month, Harry’s made 25K through driver referrals and direct ad buys.
- 12:27 – The most successful billion dollar businesses are almost always the ones that build the community in a new industry the fastest. (PayPal, Airbnb, etc)
- 13:29 – Harry’s list consists of about 10K email subscribers and his podcast has been getting about 12K downloads per month.
- 15:09 – Famous Five
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- The Ride Share Guy – Harry’s Podcast
- @TheRideShareGuy – Harry’s twitter
- The E-Myth Revisited – Harry’s favorite book
- Brian Kelly – CEO Harry follows
- Asana – Online tool Harry uses.
- Favorite Book?— The E-Myth Revisited – by Michael E. Gerber
- What CEO do you follow?— Brian Kelly
- What is your favorite online tool?— Asana
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Sometimes you have to be willing to do the work others aren’t willing to do.
Listen to The Top if you want to hear from the worlds TOP entrepreneurs on how much they sold last month, how they are selling it, and what they are selling - 7 days a week in 20 minute interviews! Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop
The Top is FOR YOU if you are:
A STUDENT who wants to become the CEO of a $10m company in under 24 months (episode #4)
STUCK in the CORPORATE grind and looking to create a $10k/mo side business so you can quit (episode #7)
An influencer or BLOGGER who wants to make $27k/mo in monthly RECURRING revenue to have the life you want and full CONTROL (episode #1)
The Software as a Service (SaaS) entrepreneur who wants to grow to a $100m+ valuation (episode #14).
Your host, Nathan Latka is a 25 year old software entrepreneur who has driven over $4.5 million in revenue and built a 25 person team as he dropped out of school, raised $2.5million from a Forbes Billionaire, and attracted over 10,000 paying customers from 160+ different countries.
Oprah gets 60 minutes or more to make her guests comfortable to then ask tough questions. Nathan does it all in less than 15 minutes in this daily podcast that's like an audio version of Pat Flynn's monthly income report. Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop