Ep 161 Tom Hunt, a location independent founder of online marketplace Virtual Valley. Listen as Nathan and Tom talk about the latter’s experience selling men’s leggings and hiring offshore employees.
YOUR $100: Remember to subscribe to the show on itunes then text the word "nathan" to 33444 to confirm that you've done it to enter to win $100 every Monday on the show. Do this now. Stop reading this and do it!
Click here to join the top tribe and instantly learn how Nathan made his first $10k at 19 years old: http://nathanlatka.com/startertribelive
Top Entrepreneurs join Nathan Latka daily inspired by, Art of Charm, Pat Flynn, John Dumas, Entrepreneur on Fire, Chalene Johnson, Lewis Howes, School of Greatness, HBR Podcast, the StartUp podcast, Mixergy, Andrew Warner, AskGaryVee, and the great hosts of BiggerPockets!
Tom Hunt is a TEDx Speaker, Dragons Den “Failure” and Location Independent Founder of Online Marketplace: Virtual Valley (Launching Jan 2016) That Connects Entrepreneurs & Rockstar Virtual Assistants (www.blog.virtualvalley.io).
3 Key Points:
- Publicity from shows such as Dragon’s Den usually won’t benefit a company directly but can raise publicity for an area of products.
- Getting press is much easier for a business if it jumps on top of an existing trend.
- According to Tom, often times it’s more worthwhile to focus on the journey than the result.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:27 – Tom joins the show
- 01:51 – Tom tells the story of how he started selling men’s leggings.
- 03:18 – As a part time project, Tom and his partners started selling them online and was able to sell 150 pairs in the first year.
- 03:50 – Eventually, Tom’s efforts were chronicled in an online article that was shared about 66K times.
- 04:46 – Tom talks about how he got onto Dragon’s Den, UK’s equivalent of the show Shark Tank.
- 06:10 – Tom’s revenue since selling men’s leggings was roughly 160K.
- 07:01 – Tom’s online store saw a big spike in traffic the day after Dragon’s Den. 100 -> 1000.
- 07:28 – The store got more traffic from the daily mail article because there was a direct link to the site.
- 08:00 – The online store is still operational and doesn’t spend any money on paid acquisition. All the advertising is done through social media outlets.
- 10:10 – Virtual Valley is a service in which people looking to build a team can acquire its members virtually.
- 11:30 – There’s a 20% service charge for using the platform – Virtual Valley provides advantages such as employer/employee insurance and an online time tracking program that it believes is covered by the fee.
- 13:14 – Virtual Valley’s services are based in the Philippines.
- 15:04 – The company’s goal is to have 7K monthly recurring revenue by February. By the end of 2016, 15K per month in recurring revenue.
- 15:53 – Getting press is much easier if a business can jump on an existing trend.
- 17:51 – Famous Five
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- Daily Mail – Article about men’s leggings
- @tomhuntio – Tom’s twitter
- Tom Hunt – Tom’s personal website
- Meggings – Tom’s e-commerce business
- Virtual Valley – Tom’s online marketplace
- The Icarus Deception – Book Tom stands by
- Sniply – Tom’s favorite online tool
- Favorite Book?— The Icarus Deception – by Seth Godin
- What CEO do you follow?— Nathan Latka
- What is your favorite online tool?— sniply
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Focus more on the journey instead of the result.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Listen to The Top if you want to hear from the worlds TOP entrepreneurs on how much they sold last month, how they are selling it, and what they are selling - 7 days a week in 20 minute interviews! Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop
The Top is FOR YOU if you are:
A STUDENT who wants to become the CEO of a $10m company in under 24 months (episode #4)
STUCK in the CORPORATE grind and looking to create a $10k/mo side business so you can quit (episode #7)
An influencer or BLOGGER who wants to make $27k/mo in monthly RECURRING revenue to have the life you want and full CONTROL (episode #1)
The Software as a Service (SaaS) entrepreneur who wants to grow to a $100m+ valuation (episode #14).
Your host, Nathan Latka is a 25 year old software entrepreneur who has driven over $4.5 million in revenue and built a 25 person team as he dropped out of school, raised $2.5million from a Forbes Billionaire, and attracted over 10,000 paying customers from 160+ different countries.
Oprah gets 60 minutes or more to make her guests comfortable to then ask tough questions. Nathan does it all in less than 15 minutes in this daily podcast that's like an audio version of Pat Flynn's monthly income report. Join the Top Tribe at http://NathanLatka.com/TheTop